The Fish Were Biting - But We Weren't Fishing!


Ft.SnellingSP023
Originally uploaded by thestahlhouse.
We made the huge committment of going swimming on Sunday. We thought that with it being so hot that we could get out and cool off. After having the preparations take approximately 45 minutes, we said "hey let's go to the pool instead of the lake". It was already after 6:00PM and the pool was only minutes away. We had checked the info on the pool earlier. I was commenting on how expensive it is to go to the pool. I started saying stuff like, "It wasn't this expensive when I was a kid". I had to stop myself from continuing for fear of feeling even older than I am. So we got to the pool, ready to fork over approx. $17 for our family to go swimming. We unloaded, got the stroller out, headed for the door. Everyone is excited, including me. We walked in the front door and the clerk said, "are you here for the party"? I said "what party?" She then proceeded to tell me that the pool is closed on Sunday nights and is only open for private rentals. This pool was pretty packed and I certainly didn't think it was a private party. So we walked back to the van, in the mean time Josh is balling and stating in a crying, very upset voice "I want to go swimming!" I told him I felt the same way and that I was about to cry too!

So back in the van - on to Ft. Snelling State Park and the beach. We arrived, ready to try out our new swimming trainers for the boys. We had new kickboards too. The lake has a very nice, shallow swimming area. It is pretty cool because you can see lots of little fish swimming around by your feet. I remember having minnows peck at my feet at Lake Miltona during our many summer vacations there. The minnows are quite nice and tickle.

Ft. Snelling has different kind of fish. They are not shy and quite aggressive. They are considerably larger than a minnow. These fish vary in size between 2 - 4". So I am playing with Josh and I no sooner did I fall over in the water on my chest, did one of these "pirahnas" atack me. No it didn't go for the juggular, it attacked my left nipple. I gave out a yelp, which Josh found quite amusing. That little fish struck me hard, it made my nipple bleed. It wasn't alot of blood, but nonetheless, it drew blood. I did have another one take a crack at my little toe later in the day, but no other incidents to report. This is very similar to our trip to the beach last year. One of those fish struck Josh in the back while he was laying in the water. Josh didn' t like that so much. He definitely likes it better when it is someone else getting bit.

We just may rethink this public pool thing after all. I just wish it wasn't so expensive. Our West Saint Paul pool charges $4 for adults and $3 for kids under 42". Those are the rates for the 6:00 to 8:00PM session. Add a buck to those prices for the afternoon session. A family membership would cost our family $185 for 3 months of swimming. Yikes! Now I realize my old stomping ground's prices have gone up too, but WSP seems very high and it doesn't seem like they are open much either.

Just for comparison - Holgate pool - Holy Cow! I just looked up the prices. They are still cheap. Excellent. Family season pass $60. Daily admission for family $5.50. Don't you think $17 is a little steep to use your local pool?

Ok, I am done venting and I still love swimming!

0 comments: