Fruits of my labor, well sort of...


straw001
Originally uploaded by thestahlhouse.
Here is a dandy picture of 2 strawberries picked from our patch last week. These are the only 2 strawberries I got all year. We planted 12 plants on Memorial Day. All those plants died, so Laura took them back to Gertens. They explained to us that we fryed them. Basically we planted them on a day that was too hot. It was only 95 degrees. So we got 12 new replacement plants and waited until it cooled down. These plants were doing quite well and bearing fruit. They had some really nice berries on them. Then one day, Laura asked if I had been picking the berries, well I hadn't. It seems that birds must like strawberries too. Since strawberry plants are June bearing, we didn't anticipate any more berries. The plants are concentrating on spreading out and making a bigger patch. I was suprised to see these two, so I had to pick them and have some berries from the year. I wish I had strawberries as plentiful as my crabapples..... more later on that.

0 comments: